Thursday, November 1, 2012

How to make a welt

Chairs before. Purchased for $15 each at an estate sale.
My dad and I reupholstered these chairs months ago. Since then, I have been dreading making a welt for them since I had no idea how to do it. So, instead of googling, reading, and researching, I bought the supplies and just did what made sense to me. haha You can also purchase a special sewing foot so you can get as close as possible to the piping while sewing, but the standard foot worked just fine. You just have to be especially diligent and firm with the fabric.

3 yds of fabric from JoAnn Fabric $20/yd

3 yds of piping
Place roping inside a fold of the fabric where you will sew.   Pin fabric about 2" from welt.
Set tension at 2-3 and sew as closely as possible along the edge of the  piping.



Using a strong adhesive, glue the welt to the edge where the fabric and frame meet.

Trim the stray fibers.
Finished product on the left


Love,
Kelly

No comments:

Post a Comment